Riverwalk Burger Battle™ VI presented by the Pilgram Group returns on Friday, May 8, 2015 from 7-10pm under the stars along the Riverwalk at Huizenga Plaza. As part of Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale’s Burger Battle event committee since its inception, here’s my take on getting the most out of the Battle.
The Lowdown: The Battle brings together South Florida burger aficionados for an evening of gourmet burger creations, cocktails, beers and fun, while raising funds to support Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale’s mission. You will have three hours to roam around this sizzling event, which pits sixteen local burger joints and restaurants against one another to show off their creative juices, grilling skills and some trash talk too!
Attire: Burger Battle SIZZLES in more ways than one! Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. It is MAY, it may be hot and you will be on the GRASS! Oh, and for locals we know to bring an umbrella… just in case (the event proceeds rain or shine!). THINK CASUAL: Sneakers, flats, shorts, jeans, t-shirts and sun dresses.
Parking & Check-in: The Battle is at Huizenga Plaza. Get Downtown BEFORE the event starts at 7pm. The Battle has sold-out every year… so get your tickets online and plan to arrive early! Check out the parking options below and head to the check-in line (Gen Admin is at SE 1st Ave & Las Olas Blvd | VIP is at the Fountain and starts early at 6:30pm). Don’t forget your ID — this is a 21+ event. Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale reminds you to please drink responsibly.
One Park Place Garage (Preferred Parking): Brickell Ave south, past SE 2nd St into Las Olas (Riverfront). Brickell will bend east past the shops and main entrance; the parking garage entrance is on the right, through the alley before Andrews Avenue.
City Park Garage (CPG): Take SE 1st Ave south, approximately one and a half blocks. The entrance to the garage will be on the east (left) side, across the street from the Broward County Main Library. There is an additional entrance on SE 2nd St. Parking is per hour, paid in advance at centralized meters.
Parking Meters – Additional metered parking is available on streets near the Huizenga Plaza, as well as at other public and private lots and garages throughout the downtown Fort Lauderdale area. Rates and hours of operation vary. Pay by Phone set-up and instructions >> click here. For the official City of Fort Lauderdale Parking Guide >> click here.
Battle Plan: Scope out the competition and plan your route – start at one end of the park and keep on track. The Battle’s Contenders will line the perimeter of the Park, with 8 contenders on each side. Bars and water (keep hydrated) are plentiful and easily accessible.
- Be prepared to taste 16 beefy BITES – this equals 4 full size burgers or more. At this battle BEEF is King!
- Don’t eat breakfast… don’t eat lunch… plan meals accordingly prior to the Battle!
- You have three hours… Ready >> Set >> Go >> Try sampling two burgers every 15 minutes keeping to just one BITE — experience the bun, toppings, meat and overall taste. Yes, you can go back for seconds, but try all the contenders first before going back to your favorites for seconds.
- You receive 3 drink tickets (note that VIP guests are treated to an open bar), so take a libation break with Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey – Jack Honey – Jack Fire cocktails, Becks, Goose Island craft beer, Shock Top, Stella Artois, or Barefoot Wines & Bubbly. You deserve it!
- Make room for The Downtowner’s French Fry Bar with condiments and cool down with Pop Labs Adult Popsicles.
- Also check out the Burger Eating Contest sponsored by Stevens & Goldwyn, P.A., with burgers provided by BurgerFi.
- Don’t forget to select YOUR Burger Nirvana of the night >>> VOTE for the Fan Favorite Award with your Burger Battle™ Chip.
The Contenders: ★Defending Champion American Social ★B. Bar & Grille ★Beauty & the Feast ★Big Bear Brewing Company ★Big City Tavern ★Bokampers Sports Bar & Grill ★Frankey’s Sports Bar ★2x Champ Georgie’s Alibi ★Grill Republic ★Gulfstream Park ★MEAT Eatery and Taproom Boca ★Mind Your Manors ★Rivals Waterfront Sports Grille ★Shooters Waterfront ★Timpano Italian Chophouse ★Tucker Duke’s Lunchbox
Renée Korbel Quinn | Mixology & Lifestyle Editor
Creating unique content for Eye on South Florida. A Downtown Girl Mixing it up in the South Florida scene. The latest in craft cocktails, craft beers and culinary experiences. Connecting with spirited friends to share ideas, stories and life! Think of it as “Cocktail Therapy”. Read her BITES column in Go Riverwalk Magazine and get social on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.